Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Steelawokn Defined

I have this 1968 Chevy 3/4 Ton pick-up. I bought it for $400 cash back in 1995. I was pretty desperate for a truck as my work at that time was hauling a set of hardwood flooring tools to various jobs on the Palouse in Eastern Washington and the Idaho panhandle. Since then, that truck has outlasted a 1982 Subaru, a '70's something Dodge station wagon, a late '80's Plymouth Voyager, a 90's something Dodge Colt, a 90's something Ford Thunderbird, a 1993 Chevrolet Astro Van AWD, and a 1997 Pontiac Transport. Did I leave anything out? Oh, what was I replacing with the old truck? A 1970 Pontiac station wagon.

So, my Blog is called "Steelaworkn" because my truck is all steel and it is still working. A little play on words there, but the old trucks just keep lasting and lasting. And if I ever have an issue, parts are cheap and can be purchase at any NAPA store. Body parts can be purchased from LMC Truck Parts. Actually, any body part can be purchased from LMC Truck Parts. They sell fenders, floor pans, glass, doors, trim parts, and even bed coatings. They also sell seat covers, steering wheels, and full electrical harnesses. And, if you are really hating that old bed, LMC Truck Parts sells complete bed kits. If it is on your old truck, they supply it.

In addition to body parts, they sell disc brake upgrade kits from the master cylinders through the brake lines all the way through the wheel cylinders. Any way, you get the picture. With companies like this, I may never have to buy another truck for as long as live. Yes, sure the old truck has broke down a few times. But, instead of having to scrap it, I just replace the part and keep going. As far as major repairs, I have only replaced the engine and rear end. The transmission is original and virtually bullet proof. I have gone through about 4 sets of tires and have a year on the current set.

So, if you are looking for a truck that will stand the test of time, go with a '68 through '72 Chevy 3/4 or 1/2 ton. If you take care of it, you will be passing it on to your heirs in your will.

=-=-=-=-=
Powered by Blogilo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice in the comments and you will get heard.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.