Saturday, February 10, 2018

Personal Information Management (PIM) in Linux

Anyone who is in college or in the business world needs Personal Information Management.  PIM for short.  Actually, everyone who has a smartphone has PIM.  On the phone there is email and a calendar.  Within the calendar is a to-do list, and an agenda.  Back in the 90's and before, everyone used a day planner.  There were the little electronic gizmos the fit in the palm of the hand and were mated with a function stylus.

In the Linux world, we too need Personal Information Management.  I personally enjoy clicking an icon to see all my mail, my calendar and to-dos in one place.  For some reason, I do not enjoy going online to find one calendar.  I need all my calendars to show up in one place i.e. my desktop or smart phone.

At work, we are on a Microsoft Exchange network.  I use Outlook 2013 for my PIM.  It works fairly well, however, because I do not have company phone, I am tied to my laptop for schedule.  Outlook is great teamed up with a portable smartphone and Lync (the instant messaging client for the Exhange Network).

Back to a the Linux world, for us there are several software claiming the PIM title.  Here I will list the ones that make the claim and I will say a few words about them.  I am biased.  See if you can figure out the one I prefer:

1.  Kontact
Kontact is nice and colorful.  It depends on a database system such as Mysql, Mariadb, or ____.  It is a creation of the KDE people.  It's like Evolution evolved.  It has everything needed in  PIM.  It can also integrate with and Exchange network.  I personally monitor 3 emails from it.  It communicates well with Google Calendar and Google Tasks.  I use Google has my focal point which allows me to schedule and complete tasks from my smart phone.  Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Kontact syncronises with my Google tasks.  Everything I do on my phone is on my workstation when I get home.  Yes this is my favorite.
2. Evolution
Evolution and Thunderbird are similar.  I could live with both.  Instead of being tab oriented, the user switches windows with an icon.  It's flat, but very snappy.
3.  Thunderbird
Thunderbird is getting closer to the ideal PIM.  It has a calendar, email, chat, and a form of agenda.  It is tab oriented.  A new tab is opened depending on the application desired.  
4.  Claws
Nuts.  This is just another email client and doesn't qualify for the PIM label.  It is simple, but no calendar.  Just mail.
5.  Alpine
This is an email client for the terminal.  It is great for admins who spend all day behind in a terminal environment.  Not so good for the person on the move in need of a PIM.  Alpine is a great tool for a specific work environment.  For more infromation check out this Wiki:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_%28email_client%29.
6.  Sylpheed
7.  Geary 
While being an email client, this does not qualify as a PIM because there is no calendar, agenda, nothin.  This is just for the simple life of sending and receiving email.

Feel free to comment and make corrections or updates.  The biggest deal breaker for me in all this pursuit of the ideal PIM is web based.  I hate webmail clients.  I use them at work, but at home, I just want everything in one spot.  That is why I used Kontact for my PIM and my Smartphone while I am away.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice in the comments and you will get heard.