Sunday, January 13, 2013

Sneek Peek F18

So, you know how couples go in to see the doctor to get an ultrasound?  You know, they want to get a peek of whether the baby will be a boy or a girl?  Well, Fedora 18 comes out on Tuesday, less than 48 hours away at the time of this posting.  Guess what.  I do not even know what is in it.

I am looking forward to doing a full install of the new F18 because of all the junk I have installed on my current system.  I messed around with getting an HTTP server up and running and simply have some things that I really don't want on my every day box.  I won't go into all those things, but need-less-to-say, it will all be fresh and new this week.

One of the things that I will keep for F18 will be KDE Desktop with the K-Office Suite.  I have a bunch of other stuff that I will want to take to F18 as well.  I got Steam up and running, Skype works pretty good, Minecraft is awesome,  FireFox, Blender, Virtual Box, Lotus Symphony is working nice and I still want to do some stuff with an HTML editor called Blue Griffon.  Also, I use Openshot and Netbeans.  Anything else I need will be in the Fedora repositories.

Some of these were not working very well because I had the Oracle Java running against the Open JDK.  Can't do that as they will both cancel each other out. 

Another thing I want to carry over is a program that will convert .deb files over to RPM files.  Cool, huh?  It is called "alien".  And then, I also discovered that once I get the new RPM made and in it's own file, I just CD over to that file and use "#yum install "*.rpm" and it does everything for me.  Pretty cool.

So, "alien" is definitely coming to the new system.  Oh, "alien" is how I got my Steam Client software working.  I converted the .deb file to RPM and then installed it.  Worked very well.  Too bad Steam doesn't have a good selection of games ported to Linux, but I hear that is changing as I type.  I'm not much of a gamer any way, but you might be.  If you are, join my blog and send me a message.  I'll see if I can  help you get your Steam Client up and running.

Not much more to say.  I did my back-up and am ready for the new F18 OS.  It's been a long time coming.  Why did it take so long?  Ask Microsoft as most new hardware has now got to be made with Microsoft in mind.  All other OS's have to conform to the new requirements.  Fedora jump through a lot of hoops to get F18 out and Red Hat through some dough down on the table before it was all over. 

Long story short, F18 is due on Tuesday and I'm ready.  Hope you are.  Have a great week.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice in the comments and you will get heard.