Sunday, February 24, 2013

Steam on Fedora

Yes, I have tried Steam on Fedora.  Actually, I'm not much of a gamer.  Selinux really does not like Steam because Steam likes to install executable junk on the system.  So, instead of working through it, I usually just end up removing Steam.  I'm sure that eventually, the Steam people will get'er done with the help of the Linux community.

That's all.  Originally, Steam was ported to the Ubuntu crowd and some of us created RPMs from the DEB.  Well, that was a few months ago.  Now there is an RPM for Fedora, but it is still a bit tricky.  You have to install a bunch of 32 bit libs first, then you can install Steam.  And still, you might have to adjust the Selinux policy to allow Steam to work properly.  That's just too much for me since I'm not really a die-hard gamer.  I'm pretty much content with Minecraft and the default Fedora-KDE, Fedora-Gnome games.

But, don't let that stop you.  Steam really needs the Linux community to install and play on Steam.  With you, they will be a success.  So, your free service will help them make a lot of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice in the comments and you will get heard.