Saturday, March 26, 2011

How to Switch OS Part 2

Are you tired to of the same OS and you want a change? Are you tired of your OS because upgrades cost a fortune and in this economy it's simply not going to happen? I have an idea for you. Oh, by the way, I'm not going to mention the OS that you might have because I don't want to take the time properly document the others. But Linux will not cost you anything to get started, unless you want to send some money to the developers of your favorite distribution (like Fedora for example).
Some things you need to know about Linux. Contrary to popular opinion (which cannot always be trusted), the Linux desktop handles similarly to the popular OS's. It is fully customizable. And, when I say fully, I mean fully. That means, if you want to write your own script to customize your desktop, you certainly can. And, if you get stumped, you always have a huge network of people (especially connected with Fedora) that you ask ask advise from.
Linux has several contact managers to choose from. I use Kontact from KDE. But there are several others to choose from. Speaking of several, if there is a piece of software that you need, the Open Source community has probably written several to choose from. So, you have many choices for Photo Management, Productivity, Contact Management, Instant Messaging, Blogging Clients, Web Browsers, Flash, Video Card Drivers, Print Drivers, Bible Software, Games, Multimedia Software, Digital Animation, Mind Mapping, Video Editing, Music Authoring, Slide Show Presentation, and more.
So, you don't need to feel like you will be missing something by switching. You have many, many, many choices when you start by choosing Linux. I recommend Fedora because it is the bleeding edge Linux OS. On my computer, the software I run is tailored to meet my needs. You may have different needs. If you have a need and an idea for the software to meet that need, chances are someone has already thought of it and wrote it and made it available for you to install on your own system.
For example, I wanted software that I could use to author music. Tux Guitar is the answer for that need. There is also a guitar tuner that I have on my desktop. The tuner works great especially because I have some awesome speakers that really help project the proper pitch.
Oh, since we are on the subject of sound. I us Amarok for playing music. It also will play you favorite on-line radio station.
Since we are on the subject of multimedia, I use Firefox for my primary browser. But, you can also use Konqueror, Google Chrome and several others. It just depends on what you like. In those browsers, I run Flash and several other plug-ins that allow me to watch multiple types of on-line video.
Right now I am blogging using the client called Blogilo. It has many features that allow me to upload lots of content. I'm a little lazy so I haven't utilized the multiple features it provides.
I have a desktop sticky-note, a nice clock and have many other choices for widgets to use.
I use Bible Time Bible software. It is similar to others but only uses Public Domain books. This program is always being developed so I always stay tuned to recent updates.
Oh, speaking of updates, software updates can be available daily. I usually update once a week. I update because there are always new features the developers are adding.
Oh, no viruses. I do not run anti-virus software because no one wants to take the time to write it for Linux. However, you will need a hardware-firewall to keep your home systems secure. While you may not get viruses, it is still possible to hack your home.
Oh gee, I'm running out of time for this session. Tune in for part 3.
=-=-=-=-=
Powered by Blogilo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice in the comments and you will get heard.