Tuesday, March 22, 2011

How to Switch Operating Systems

Well folks. Fedora 15 is just around the corner. As you may know, I have had Fedora on my system for over a year. It is my primary OS. I made the switch from the leading OS only because I no longer had a need for it nor did I want to spend nearly 200 buckaroos for the new OS.

It is very easy to switch to Linux. Simply back up all your personal documents and files. Don't worry about your MS games or programs. All those will be replaced with the Linux equivalents. Depending on the size of your files, you will need an external hard drive to temporarily store your files.

Next, obtain the OS of choice (Fedora 15 will be out in April or May, hint, hint). You can download an ISO file from Debian, Fedora, Mint, Ubuntu, etc. This ISO is transferred to a CD or a DVD. Then, with your computer turned on, simply insert the disc, reboot your system, and your computer will boot to the CD. You will then be given a choice (yes choices start immediately in Linux) to install on your hard drive. Follow the instructions and before you know it you will be saying hello to a brand new world of computing.

Time to go for now. Next time, I'll give a more detailed view of Linux (from a Fedora perspective of course) and all the software I have on my system. I'll even show a few screen shots of  what I have in my "dock". Bye for now.
=-=-=-=-=
Powered by Blogilo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice in the comments and you will get heard.